Hi friends, how are you all? Today’s recipe is ‘Punjabi chole masala’. It is a north Indian dish. This dish is specially belongs to Punjab. It is a type of gravy which we can have in lunch and dinner also.
In India you can see this dish in all parties and functions. This dish means itself a celebration. Punjabi food is full of spices and love. In Punjab you can seen how the people celebrate each other’s happiness like a festival itself.
I personally like punjabi chole masala very much. It is a gravy which we have with rice, parathe, puri,kulche, bhature and even with roti also.
- Chole – 2cups (chickpeas)
- Onion – 1large
- Ginger garlic paste -1tsp
- Tomato paste
- Bay leaf (tej patta) – 1
- Black cardamom (badi elachi) – 1
- Black pepper (kali mirchi)- 4 to 5
- cloves (laung)- 2 to 3
- Turmeric powder- 1tsp
- Red chilli powder- 1tsp
- Coriander powder- 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds (jeera) – 1/2tsp
- Salt as per your taste
- Oil – 4tsp
- Water -5 cup
Method to make Punjabi chole masala
- Soak the chole (chickpeas) for one night before cooking in water so that it cooks easily. You can soak it for about 5 to 6 hours also.
- Take out the soaked chole from water and wash them with clean water. Now take a pressure cooker and put the chole and add 1 bay leaf (tej patta), 1 black cardamom (badi elachi), 4 to 5 black pepper (kali mirachi), 2 t0 3 Cloves (laung) and put some salt in it and boil it until 3 to 4whistle.
- After boiling the chole take out all whole spices from it and stored that water also for gravy because this water gives frangance to your chole.
- Heat the oil in cooker and put cumin seeds (jeera) and let them crackal.
- Put onion paste , ginger garlic paste and let them cook until the smell ginger garlic paste fad away.
- Now add all dry spices except salt in it and mix it properly .
- After 4 – 5mins. put tomato paste and mix it.
- Add the boil chole and salt as per your taste and start stiring until it becomes soft.
- Add the water in which we have boil the chole in it for its gravy . Close the pressure cooker and wait until 3 whistle .
- Don’t open the pressure cooker wait to release its pressure by itself.
- Always soak chole before cooking it.
- Don’t throw the water in which you have boil the chole.
- During stirring the chole try to smash them with spatula.
Hope you all like my recipe and give a try at your home and do let me know in comment section. My chole is ready to serve so i am going to eat it .Bye